Information on People’s Park
- Adventure & Leisure
- Parks & Gardens
- Pet friendly
- Walking Friendly
- Wildlife & Nature
People’s Park is one of the finest surviving examples of a “Joseph Paxton” Park. Created in 1857, the Park was donated to the people of Halifax by Sir Francis Crossley. It is to be maintained by Calderdale Council, then the ‘Halifax Corporation’, for all time.
Situated at the Western edge of Halifax, the 12.5 acre site is in the heart of a conservation area. It provides a green and pleasant haven.
A restoration programme that began in 1995 has revitalised the park with new facilities such as the children’s play area, public toilets and the visitor’s centre. The bandstand, water features (including the central fountain, serpentine pools, gargoyle fountains in the pavilion pools), statues, balustrading, pavilion and cast iron bridges have all been conserved and repaired and disabled access provided to the park via the college entrance and onto the terrace promenade.
People’s Park has been awarded the coveted Green Flag status.