Plan your stay
HeptonstallBuilt in 1764, the design and construction of this Grade II listed Octagonal Chapel were overseen by John Wesley, who frequently preached here. One...Built in 1764, the design and construction of this Grade II listed Octagonal Chapel were overseen by John Wesley, who frequently preached here. One of the first octagonal chapels, it is one of the oldest Methodist churches in continuous use today. This unusual octagonal chapel is open every day. It’s tucked away at the bottom of a flight of steps off Northgate. Entry is free, with donations to the upkeep of the Chapel welcome. Please email Circuit Heritage Officer Mr. John Wilson regarding visits and other activities, at email@example.com. Methodism in Heptonstall began with the firebrand Scot William Darney. He founded many societies on both sides of the Pennines as he travelled, preaching as he went. The Heptonstall “Darney Society” was visited by Charles and John Wesley in 1747. In these early days, Heptonstall had a preacher every sixth Sunday, with the travelling preachers receiving no stipend or allowance, eating where they could. John Wesley continued to visit Heptonstall and there were always immense crowds to hear him. The society was so successful it was decided to build a chapel. The octagon shape was then fashionable for Methodist preaching houses, as it avoided conflict with the established church. The building was finished in 1764. It was intended to hold 200 people, but by 1802 there were 337 members and over 1000 scholars. The solution was to knock down the far end of the chapel, lengthen the walls and rebuild it, preserving its octagonal shape. Heptonstall is located on The Calderdale Way, a 50 mile walking route that circles the borough of Calderdale. Please call in to visit the Chapel if you're passing by.
HeptonstallUniquely, Heptonstall has two churches within one graveyard. At the centre of the village are the ruins of the Church of St Thomas a' Becket built ...Uniquely, Heptonstall has two churches within one graveyard. At the centre of the village are the ruins of the Church of St Thomas a' Becket built between 1256 and 1260. Later adaptations gave the Church two naves, two aisles and two chantry chapels as well as a tower. Following a great storm in 1847 the west face of the tower fell away. Some measure of repair took place and the church remained in use up to 1854 when the present church, St Thomas the Apostle, was completed at a cost of £7,000. The ruins of St Thomas a' Becket are carefully maintained and are open to the public. Open air services are occasionally conducted there.
Please note that Jerusalem Farm campsite will remain closed until further notice due to the current situ...
Please note that Jerusalem Farm campsite will remain closed until further notice due to the current situation regarding Corona/Covid-19 virus.
Jerusalem Farm is a simple, informal campsite suitable for backpackers and families, located in a beautiful, quiet, secluded area adjoining a local nature reserve, stream, woodland and moors.
We are a quiet family site offering 30 pitches. Camping is on a flat grassy area adjacent to the Luddenden Brook and Wade Wood.
We are situated on The Calderdale Way and are only 6 miles from The Pennine Way.
We have an Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Point: 1 x 7kW 32A Type 2 Mennekes, ZeroNet.
Midge repellant is essential during the summer months.
£8 per night for adults
£5 per night for children under 15 (Under 5's free)
£1 per dog (maximum 2 per party)
£3 gazebo per night (maximum 1 per party) (£1 discount for Passport to Leisure holders)