Plan your stay
A Museum since 1887, Bankfield tells the story of Halifax and Calderdale, using its rich and diverse collection...
A Museum since 1887, Bankfield tells the story of Halifax and Calderdale, using its rich and diverse collections.
Bankfield Musuem is set in the attractive surroundings of Akroyd Park, at the centre of Akroydon model village conservation area, a Victorian mansion that was the home of local mill owner, philanthropist and MP, Colonel Edward Akroyd.
Bankfield’s exhibitions cover local history, costume, art, toys, military history, jewellery and textiles from around the world.
Our collections contain objects from Ancient Egypt through to the 21st Century as we continue to collect and preserve items for future generations.
We are located a short distance from the centre of Halifax, with free parking and close to public transport links.
Entry to the Museum is FREE, but you must book online. You can book your admission to Bankfield Musuem here.
Numbers are being limited to ensure that we can keep visitors safe. Please have your ticket ready to show staff either on your phone or as a printed copy.
Sanitiser will be provided at various points and we will be frequently cleaning the venue in line with government guidance. You must wear a face covering whilst inside inline with Government guidance on face coverings.
Tue - Sat: 10:00-16:00
GreetlandClay House is a Jacobean building, a fine example of seventeenth century vernacular architecture, located within a beautiful rural park in the vil...Clay House is a Jacobean building, a fine example of seventeenth century vernacular architecture, located within a beautiful rural park in the village of West Vale, less than a mile form Elland and less than three miles from Halifax. Clay House is the official start (and end) point for The Calderdale Way, a 50-mile walking route that circles the borough of Calderdale. The start of The Calderdale Way is signposted at the rear of the House, with signage, flower beds and a picnic area. The Main hall (7.3m x 10.5m) is a beautiful room with wood panelling, a minstrel gallery, polished wood floor, large stone fireplace and stone mullioned windows. It is licensed for civil ceremonies and can set up to 70 people for a formal meal, or 100 people theatre style for meetings, training sessions or presentations. Terraces and gardens in front and to the side of the House make great backgrounds for photographs and places to enjoy the views across the Park. Access Information: A portable ramp is provided to the front entrance or there is level access to the side; Two small internal ramps enable access to all public areas; A disabled toilet is available The Main Hall is fitted with an Induction Loop.
HalifaxThe 253 ft Wainhouse Tower was originally commissioned as a chimney for the local dye works by John Edward Wainhouse in the late 19th century. The ...The 253 ft Wainhouse Tower was originally commissioned as a chimney for the local dye works by John Edward Wainhouse in the late 19th century. The structure was never actually used as a working chimney and as such, is regarded by many as one of Britain's finest follies. Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, Wainhouse Tower was open to the public on the Bank Holidays, for those brave enough to tackle the 403 steps to the viewing gallery at the top, the stunning views make it well worth the climb. We hope that it will be possible to reopen the Tower to visitors in 2021 and will add any dates the Tower may be open to the public here when and if they are confirmed. A Brief History of Wainhouse Tower Born in 1817 John Edward Wainhouse inherited his Uncle’s Dyeworks on Washer Lane, Halifax in 1856. The Dyeworks were typical of the day, causing considerable pollution because of smoke emissions. Halifax was badly affected by smog. For weeks on end the smoke laden atmosphere blanketed the town, reducing sunlight and contaminating the landscape with soot and sulphur trioxide. This national problem caused the Government to introduce a Smoke Abatement Act. Wainhouse developed the idea of building a chimney 350 metres up the hillside from the Dyeworks, connected to it by an underground tunnel. Sir Henry Edwards, A wealthy neighbour of John Edward Wainhouse, made complaints about the smoke nuisance caused by the Dyeworks, leading to a feud between the two men. Mr Isaac Booth (who was also Sir Henry’s architect) was asked by Wainhouse to design and build the mill chimney. The design incorporated an internal staircase that led to four balcony features. This exacerbated the deepening feud between Wainhouse and Sir Henry. Sir Henry, an extrovert and boastful man, claimed that his private estate at Pye Nest could not be viewed from any house o the hills. Wainhouse said he would rectify this by putting an observatory at the top of his chimney. Work commenced in 1871. In 1873, as a result of the feuding; the architect Isaac Booth decided he could no longer work for either man. This led to the appointment of Richard Swarbrick Dugdale, who redesigned the upper section of the building. The new design incorporated a corbelled and balustrade balcony, surmounted by a lantern dome and finial. The building was completed on the 9th September 1875. It is estimated that over 9,000 tonnes of materials were used. The total cost is thought to be in the region of £15,000. However, by the time the building was completed, it was clear that it would never be used as a chimney. The Washer Lane Dyeworks had been sold in 1874 to the works manager Mr Henry Mossman. The sale did not include the Tower. It is thought that Mossman saw the then uncompleted building to be a liability. This point of view is difficult to understand given the fact that Mossman was then prosecuted under the Smoke Abatement Act. Mossman proved that considerable efforts were made to abate the smoke nuisance by pulling down six existing small chimneys …and erecting a large chimney in their place! John Edward Wainhouse died on 26th July 1883 at the age of 66. He as buried in the family grave at Holy Trinity Churchyard, Halifax. The gravestone is located against the boundary wall on the south side of the Church. The Tower and three acres of surrounding land was sold by auction in 1887. The Tower changed hands several times until coming under the ownership of the Halifax Corporation in 1919. During the Second World War the Tower was used by the military authorities as an observation post. As a result of the reorganisation of Local Government in 1974, Wainhouse Tower became the property of Calderdale Council. Today the Tower is used as a viewing platform; open to the public on Bank Holidays and other select days through the year
Lister Lane Cemetery is a green oasis, three acres of tranquility close to the heart of Halifax town centre. Th...
Lister Lane Cemetery is a green oasis, three acres of tranquility close to the heart of Halifax town centre. The Cemetery can be a place to relax or take some outdoor exercise. An important part of Calderdale's rich architectural heritage, Lister Lane Cemetery is an attractive location for photography and sketching; the changing moods of nature through the seasons offer a variety of opportunities in this field.
The Cemetery has been recognised as a Significant Cemetery in Europe, one of only 13 in the UK, putting it alongside such famous cemeteries as Highgate in London!
The Halifax General Cemetery, Lister Lane, was opened in 1841. Today, the Cemetery has Grade II listed status and has many interesting monuments, particularly the gothic spires and obelisks along the main pathway. The Cemetery is laid out around a now derelict neo-classical chapel and a raised terrace with views across Halifax to Beacon Hill.
Lister Lane Cemetery is the last resting place of many Halifax residents, some of great significance, such as; Ben Rushton, the famous Chartist Leader; Abel Dean, who conducted Piece Hall "Sings"; Pohlmann the piano-maker; Jonas Dearnely Taylor, co-founder of Halifax Permanent Building Society; and entrepreneurs such as the Crossleys of Dean Clough.
Lister Lane Cemetery is open to the public on Wednesdays from 10am - 3.30pm and most Sundays (weather permitting) from 10am - 12pm when the Friends of the Cemetery are working there. The site can be opened to visitors by appointment with the secretary by phone,or via the website and conducted tours are available for groups.
Can you can spare a couple of hours on a Sunday or Wednesday morning to assist with ground-clearance, maintenance or gardening? No experience is necessary and the Friends of Lister Lane Cemetery can supply the tools. You can also register as a member of the friends for just £3 per annum.
Welcome to the valley of the sheep - schep dene - the home of the Lister family for over 300 years. Shibden Hal...
Welcome to the valley of the sheep - schep dene - the home of the Lister family for over 300 years. Shibden Hall was the home of the noted 19th century diarist Anne Lister (1791 - 1840). The Hall, dating originally from circa 1420, is a distinctive half-timbered building furnished in the styles of the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, adapted and extended throughout the centuries by the families who lived here.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back from the 17th! All tickets must be booked in advance (click here for online booking). We will release a few weeks at a time so we can monitor the situation.
We would recommend that all visitors use the main carpark for Shibden Park accessed via the A58 (Halifax to Leeds road), as the small car park situated at the top of the park (off Lister’s Road) soon becomes full and parking on the main road in that area is illegal. Please allow plenty of time to find parking and walk to the Hall (approx. 10 mins) to arrive during your allocated time slot. There are several routes to Shibden Hall which are well signposted at the bottom of the park.
On arrival at the Hall there may be a queue due to staff managing visitor numbers and checking tickets, please be patient as this is for the safety of all visitors, staff and volunteers, so that safe, social distancing can be maintained for everyone. Hand sanitiser will be supplied at various points around the Hall, but it is also recommended that visitors bring their own supplies. Enhanced cleaning will be undertaken around the site, throughout the day in line with government guidance.
Anne Lister is the focus of the BBC drama series 'Gentleman Jack' written and directed by Sally Wainwright. The series explores Anne's life and the lives of those who lived in the Hall and Estate. Suranne Jones plays the role of Anne Lister and Shibden Hall is one of the main filming locations featured in the show.
Shibden Hall is set in a 32 hectares of informal park and woodland, which have won the Green Heritage Award. Explore the beautifully restored historic grounds which offer cascades, pools, tunnels, terraced and fruit gardens and "Paisley Shawl" inspired Victorian bedding designs by Joshua Major.
Hidden within the depths of Shibden Park is a small wooded area known as Cunnery Wood. This Local Nature Reserve is on the footprint of Anne Lister's kitchen garden, fish pond, top up of the cascade and rabbit warren (hence the name Cunnery from Coney-rabbit). The area is rich in wildlife from stunning displays of bluebells under English oak, elm and birch to a multitude of songs from birds, healthy butterfly and moth populations and numerous small mammals throughout.
Click here to Watch a short video, 'Shibden: 500 Years of History.'and click here to watch a second short video about 'The Anne Lister Story', with Helena Whitbread (you can see the video in full at Shibden hall).
You support Shibden Hall and the Museums Service by purchasing through our online shop, with a range of Shibden Hall and Anne Lister themed gifts, cards, books and merchandise
There are frequent buses every 15 minutes or better from Monday to Saturday passing Shibden Hall, between Halifax and Bradford, Halifax and Todmorden/Burnley and Halifax and Brighouse. with other regular and less frequent services throughout the week. Up to date timetables are available from West Yorkshire METRO.
Concession £5.00 (Children 5 - 16 years / Senior Citizens /Passport to Leisure)
Family ticket (2 adults and 2 children): £21.00.
PLEASE NOTE: All tickets must be purchased online in advance. There will be no ticket sales on site. Full details are above.
Edward James Hughes (1930-1998) was born at 1 Aspinall Street, Mytholmroyd, on the 17th Augus...
Edward James Hughes (1930-1998) was born at 1 Aspinall Street, Mytholmroyd, on the 17th August 1930. He lived there until he was seven, when his family moved to Mexborough. During his childhood he spent many hours exploring the countryside around Mytholmroyd, and these experiences and the influences of the landscape on him were to inform much of his later poetry.
One of the greatest poets of his generation, Hughes also wrote stories, plays, reviews and essays. He translated the work of, amongst others, Ovid, Racine, Aeschylus and Euripides. He wrote extensively for children, including the story The Iron Man, which was turned into the Disney blockbuster The Iron Giant. Hughes's interests in other art forms led to many collaborations, most famously with the artist Leonard Baskin.
Although best known in the UK, Hughes was a writer of international standing. He won numerous awards throughout his career, including four for his final collection, Birthday Letters. Hughes became Poet Laureate in 1984 until his death on 28th October 1998.
You can explore Ted's Yorkshire with the Discovering Ted Hughes's Yorkshire project; a series of route maps that take you on an encounter with the Yorkshire landscapes that formed and inspired Ted Hughes; Mytholmroyd and the Upper Calder Valley, Mexborough and the lower valleys of the Don and Dearne and Patrington in East Yorkshire. Find out more about the project here.
Ted’s birthplace at #1 Aspinall Street, Mytholmroyd is available as a holiday let - the ideal place to stay for budding writers or for Ted’s fans to draw inspiration from the area.
HalifaxHalifax's ornate town hall was designed by Charles Barry, who also designed the Houses of Parliament. This Grade ll* listed building has a magnific...Halifax's ornate town hall was designed by Charles Barry, who also designed the Houses of Parliament. This Grade ll* listed building has a magnificent 180ft tower and spire which is enriched with sculpture. Free guided tours of Halifax Town Hall can be arranged to help you learn more about its fascinating history. Please contact the Mayor's Office on 01422 393022.
Ann Walker’s grandfather, William, largely funded the Georgian Lightcliffe Old St Matthew Church, which was erected in 1775 and replaced a...
Ann Walker’s grandfather, William, largely funded the Georgian Lightcliffe Old St Matthew Church, which was erected in 1775 and replaced an earlier, Tudor foundation.
William also built Cliffe Hill just a short walk away, where Ann Walker lived. Ann and her family worshipped at St Matthew’s Church and had family pews.
After becoming the companion and wife of Anne Lister of Shibden Hall, the couple had a green velvet-lined pew installed at St Matthew’s so they could worship together there.
Ann died in February 1854 and was buried in the church, according to her memorial plaque “under the pulpit”. The exact location of this pulpit is the subject of debate, as the church was replaced in 1880 with the current church building.
The old St Matthew’s church was used as a mortuary chapel, but it fell into decay after suffering serious damage from a storm in the 1960’s. Vandalism and theft followed and the church was demolished in the early 1970s.
Fortunately the ‘Friends of Friendless Churches’ rescued the memorials from the walls of the church and they are now stored in Lightcliffe Tower, the only remaining part of the old St Matthew Church.
A memorial stone has been placed on the spot where it is thought that Ann lies and the brass memorial plaque to her now hangs high inside the tower. The plaque is hard to decipher but reads:
In memory of Ann Walker of Cliffe Hill who was born May 20th 1803 and died February 25th 1854
and is buried underneath the pulpit in this church.
And of her niece, Mary who died June 6th 1845 and is buried in this churchyard.
And of her nephews George Sackville (Sutherland) who died in 1843 aged 12,
John Walker who died in 1836 aged 1 year and are buried in Kirkmichael, Rosshire,
the children of George MacKay and Elizabeth Sutherland
Sadly there are no known images of Ann Walker. Most of what we know about her comes from Anne Lister's diaires and letters. Ann Walker is portrayed by Sophie Rundle in the BBC ONE/ HBO drma Gentleman Jack.
You will find Lightcliffe Tower along Wakefield Road, in Lightcliffe, Halifax. The tower is located on your left (as you are driving out of Halifax) just before Till Carr Lane, opposite the Sun Country Inn, HX3 8TH.
The Tower will be open to the public on set days between May and August 2021. You can find full details here.
Please note that Victoria Theatre will be closing to the public from 20th March until further notice.
Please note that Victoria Theatre will be closing to the public from 20th March until further notice.
Situated in the heart of the bustling Halifax Town Centre, this thriving theatre prides itself on an exciting and varied programme of live events.
From no-holds-barred rock 'n' roll, chart-topping pop and sumptuous ballet, to cutting-edge comedy, fantastic family shows, annual pantomime and unmissable drama - there's entertainment for everyone to enjoy.
Whether you're looking for an unforgettable rollercoaster of emotions, uncontrollable laughter and maybe to shed a tear; to lose yourself in the greatest rock and pop concerts; to marvel at true talent and sensational skills; or simply to spend an evening of relaxation and entertainment with family and friends - it's all happening at the Victoria Theatre!
With a choice of 1,512 seats over three levels: Stalls, Circle and Balcony, no obstructive pillars and raked seating on every level, the Victoria Theatre has the size and magnificence for a sensational theatre experience for everyone.
Calderdale Industrial Musuem reopens for the May Bank Holiday weekend. We will be open on Saturday 29
Calderdale Industrial Musuem reopens for the May Bank Holiday weekend. We will be open on Saturday 29th May and Monday 31st May 2021 from 10am to 4pm. No booking is required, and the last admission will be at 3pm.
The Museum houses a collection of industrial machinery and artifacts over four floors. Some of the machines are the only surviving examples in the country and have been placed in settings to give a close representation to the time when they were fully operational in the not too distant past.
Down in the basement, the oil engine ‘Sadie’ provides motive power for part of an extensive collection of locally-manufactured machine tools, including lathes, drills and planers. You can take in the experience of nineteenth century Mytholm Coal Mine, learn about stone extraction and the exploitation of clay in the fireclay industries.
The Power Gallery on the ground floor illustrates the story of power generation, from the water wheel to the internal combustion engine, by way of steam and electricity. The availability of power, initially from the numerous well-fed streams throughout Calderdale, was key to the growth of local industry.
The first floor displays products that were made in Calderdale. World-famous names such as Mackintosh’s Toffees and Crossley’s carpets were everyday brands originating in Halifax.
The top floor is still to be renovated and will be opened progressively over the next few years. The objective is to develop and present the story of how worsted cloth is manufactured from sheep’s wool.
The Museum is operated by the Calderdale Industrial Museum Association (CIMA). a registered charity and dedicated group of enthusiastic volunteers.
A great opportunity to witness the rise of the Industrial Revolution in the Calder Valley!
Adults: £5 Concessions (senior citizens & students): £4 Accompanied Children aged up to 16: FREE
Keep up to date with our Facebook page
Representing over 300 years of the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment, since its raising in 1702, this museum ...
Representing over 300 years of the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment, since its raising in 1702, this museum tells the stories of the soldiers who served using their own words.
The ‘Iron Duke’, Arthur Wellesley, was the Colonel of the 33rd which became, after his death, the only Regiment to be named after a person not of the Royal Blood.
Displays include items relating to the Duke himself and to the rich and varied history of the regiment, including the campaigns of 33rd and 76th foot.
The Duke of Wellington’s Regiment has a long association with the town of Halifax and its location within Bankfield Museum complements the wider history on display here.
Dean Clough is a vibrant 22-acre mixed-use mill complex, stretching half a mile in length, on the edge of Halif...
Dean Clough is a vibrant 22-acre mixed-use mill complex, stretching half a mile in length, on the edge of Halifax town centre. Once the home of Crossley Carpets, the world’s largest carpet manufacturer, it’s now a thriving community which combines arts and culture, leisure facilities, restaurants, bars, cafes, shops, event spaces, offices and a hotel.
The site boasts an abundance of arts and culture with six galleries, a subterranean theatre (the Viaduct Theatre), two resident theatre companies (Northern Broadsides and IOU), a permanent art collection with over 300 original works on display, a dedicated arts mill and studios which are home to 25 artists and numerous art organisations.
There is a fabulous array of local independent food and drink establishments, catering for a range of tastes with four restaurants, a gaming-themed bar and diner, a real ale pub, a coffee roastery and two cafes.
In addition to a Jack Wills outlet store, the Prestige Flowers Gift Shop and the Design Shop, there are beauty salons, hairdressers, gyms and a karate dojo for those who like a workout!
At the heart of the site is The Arches, a spectacularly stylish industrial venue, perfect for incredibly individual weddings and exclusive events. With a highly-experienced events team, The Arches is a much sought after venue for charity balls, proms, private parties and corporate events. The space is very versatile with formal dinners seating up to 300 people, with the added benefit of a Travelodge hotel on site for overnight stays.
Across the year there are a variety of events which take place all across Dean Clough, whether in the restaurants, specific events spaces, the art galleries or in the artists’ studios. Recent events have included drive-in movies, art exhibitions, live music, life drawing, a bierkeller, lunch with Prue Leith and lots more. See the What’s On page on our website for current and future events.
For families there is the Dean Clough Trail. This free trail takes approximately 1 hour to complete and the clues lead across the Dean Clough site (both inside and out). Those following the trail will get to see the huge Dean Clough Lego model and will be tested to see if they can walk along the old railway tracks, amongst many things. The trail leaflets are available from Main Reception in D Mill.
Visitors are welcome seven days a week and the public mills are open from 9am to 5pm (from 10am on a Sunday). Parking charges apply during the week (but not at weekends and after 6pm during the week). Otherwise, the site is 'free entry'.
More information about Dean Clough can be found on the website, on social media or by calling Dean Clough reception on 01422 250250.
The apparent tranquillity of Mytholmroyd belies a murky past involving an 18th century counterfeiting gang, the...
The apparent tranquillity of Mytholmroyd belies a murky past involving an 18th century counterfeiting gang, the ‘Cragg Vale Coiners’.This gang's activities were said to be so damaging that they threatened to wreck Britain's currency!
David Hartley learnt his trade as an ironworker in Birmingham, before getting into trouble and moving back to Mytholmroyd to escape the authorities. Once returned to his home at Bell House farmhouse David used ironworking as a cover to clip or file the edges from gold coins, milling the edges back so the change was all but unnoticeable, and making counterfeit coins from the shavings whilst returning the clipped coins into circulation.
The activity soon spread to other farms, with families at nearby Hill Top Farm and Keelham Farm soon becoming involved; forming the beginnings of the gang of Cragg Vale Coiners. Local publicans also helped by placing the counterfeit coins into circulation.
David Hartley seems to have been an enigmatic leader, becoming known as 'King David' Hartley. The gang’s numbers grew considerably until well over 30 individuals were involved. Rumours of the gang's activities reached the authorities, who sent an excise man named William Deighton to investigate.
One of the coiners turned King’s Evidence and betrayed the gang, leading to Hartley's arrest at an Inn in Halifax on 14th October 1769. Hartley's brother Isaac offered £100 to anybody who would kill Deighton. It is alleged that the plotters planned Deighton's murder at an Inn in Mytholmroyd called Barbary's, which is now gone, but was located on the opposite side of the road to the present day Dusty Miller.
On November 10th 1769 at Bull Close Lane near Halifax, Deighton was approached by two men, Matthew Normanton and Robert Thomas. Deighton was shot dead, his body also showing signs of having been stamped on. Just days later, the Government offered a reward of £100 for information leading to the arrest of the murderers and a pardon for anybody, bar the killers, who would turn King's Evidence.
Over 30 people were subsequently arrested, including 'King David' Hartley, who was sentenced to death on April 6th 1770 and hanged at Tynburn, near York, on April 28th. His body is buried in the graveyard of the village of Heptonstall, above Hebden Bridge. Robert Thomas was acquitted of Deighton's murder, but was later hanged in 1774 for being a highwayman. Matthew Normanton initially fled the authorities, but was later caught and hanged in 1775. Isaac Hartley was never brought to trial due to a lack of evidence and died in 1815, aged 78.
Heptonstall Museum has on display some of the original dies used by the Coiners to stamp their gold discs into coins, as well as panels telling more of their story.
The award-winning novel 'The Gallows Pole' by Ben Myers tells the Coiner's story.
Please note that the Gallery & Library will be closing to the public from 20th March until further n...
Please note that the Gallery & Library will be closing to the public from 20th March until further notice.
This purpose built Art Gallery and public library, known as ‘The Rydings’, is surrounded by a beautiful park and gardens.
The front gallery hosts an exhibition of oil paintings, based on People and Places, including works by Atkinson Grimshaw, Marcus Stone and Thomas Sydney Cooper. The rear gallery hosts changing displays, covering a wide variety of themes from local artists to touring exhibitions, including photography, mixed media and sculpture, ensuring there is always something new and different to enjoy.
The gallery was built by Alderman William Smith and donated, along with his collection of artwork, to the people of Brighouse in 1907.
The Smith Art Gallery provides a pleasant atmosphere to meet your friends, interact with beautiful paintings and do the family gallery hunt/trail.
There is also an exciting programme of temporary exhibitions in a range of media from paintings to photography and textiles, providing a wonderful experience each time you visit.
Sowerby BridgeChrist Church is the Parish Church of Sowerby Bridge in the Diocese of West Yorkshire and the Dales. It is a warm and welcoming place to visit and ...Christ Church is the Parish Church of Sowerby Bridge in the Diocese of West Yorkshire and the Dales. It is a warm and welcoming place to visit and and worship, There are regular services during the week, and plenty of other other activities too. The church is open on a Tuesday and Saturday from 10am till 11:30am for visitors to have a look around and at other times by appointment.
HeptonstallBuilt in 1764, the design and construction of this Grade II listed Octagonal Chapel were overseen by John Wesley, who frequently preached here. One...Built in 1764, the design and construction of this Grade II listed Octagonal Chapel were overseen by John Wesley, who frequently preached here. One of the first octagonal chapels, it is one of the oldest Methodist churches in continuous use today. This unusual octagonal chapel is open every day. It’s tucked away at the bottom of a flight of steps off Northgate. Entry is free, with donations to the upkeep of the Chapel welcome. Please email Circuit Heritage Officer Mr. John Wilson regarding visits and other activities, at email@example.com. Methodism in Heptonstall began with the firebrand Scot William Darney. He founded many societies on both sides of the Pennines as he travelled, preaching as he went. The Heptonstall “Darney Society” was visited by Charles and John Wesley in 1747. In these early days, Heptonstall had a preacher every sixth Sunday, with the travelling preachers receiving no stipend or allowance, eating where they could. John Wesley continued to visit Heptonstall and there were always immense crowds to hear him. The society was so successful it was decided to build a chapel. The octagon shape was then fashionable for Methodist preaching houses, as it avoided conflict with the established church. The building was finished in 1764. It was intended to hold 200 people, but by 1802 there were 337 members and over 1000 scholars. The solution was to knock down the far end of the chapel, lengthen the walls and rebuild it, preserving its octagonal shape. Heptonstall is located on The Calderdale Way, a 50 mile walking route that circles the borough of Calderdale. Please call in to visit the Chapel if you're passing by.