Plan your stay

Grid List

2 Item(s)

  1. Todmorden Hippodrome Theatre

    Todmorden

    Todmorden Hippodrome Theatre

    The Todmorden Hippodrome is a 485 seat Edwardian variety theatre nestling in the Upper Calder Valley town of Todmorden. Owned and run by the To...
    The Todmorden Hippodrome is a 485 seat Edwardian variety theatre nestling in the Upper Calder Valley town of Todmorden. Owned and run by the Todmorden Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society (or TAODS for short!) the Hippodrome was built in 1908 and is still presenting live events today. The Hippodrome presents a wide variety of events including musicals, plays, films, live music events and is home to the Hippodrome Youth Theatre, the youth section of TAODS. The Hippodrome screens regular monthly films at their the ‘Electric Palace’ cinema, complete with popcorn, sweets and refreshments (And the bar is open for the evening films!).
  2. eptonstall Octagonal Methodist Chapel

    Heptonstall

    Heptonstall Octagonal Methodist Chapel

    Built in 1764, the design and construction of this Grade II listed Octagonal Chapel were overseen by John Wesley, who frequently preached here. One...
    Built in 1764, the design and construction of this Grade II listed Octagonal Chapel were overseen by John Wesley, who frequently preached here. One of the first octagonal chapels, it is one of the oldest Methodist churches in continuous use today. This unusual octagonal chapel is open every day. It’s tucked away at the bottom of a flight of steps off Northgate. Entry is free, with donations to the upkeep of the Chapel welcome. Please email Circuit Heritage Officer Mr. John Wilson regarding visits and other activities, at chme@calderdalemethodists.org.uk. Methodism in Heptonstall began with the firebrand Scot William Darney. He founded many societies on both sides of the Pennines as he travelled, preaching as he went. The Heptonstall “Darney Society” was visited by Charles and John Wesley in 1747. In these early days, Heptonstall had a preacher every sixth Sunday, with the travelling preachers receiving no stipend or allowance, eating where they could. John Wesley continued to visit Heptonstall and there were always immense crowds to hear him. The society was so successful it was decided to build a chapel. The octagon shape was then fashionable for Methodist preaching houses, as it avoided conflict with the established church. The building was finished in 1764. It was intended to hold 200 people, but by 1802 there were 337 members and over 1000 scholars. The solution was to knock down the far end of the chapel, lengthen the walls and rebuild it, preserving its octagonal shape. Heptonstall is located on The Calderdale Way, a 50 mile walking route that circles the borough of Calderdale. Please call in to visit the Chapel if you're passing by.

Grid List

2 Item(s)

Sign up to be the first to hear all about the latest news and events

Trigger popup