Plan your stay
Starting 19th Mar 2021
See all Dates
Hebden Bridge Film Festival is held on the following dates:
19th - 21st March 2021
Welcome to the 2nd Hebden Bridge Film Festival, with the theme of “The Other”.
Welcome to the 2nd Hebden Bridge Film Festival, with the theme of “The Other”.With the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and lockdowns, the 2021 Festival will be brought to you live and online from 19th - 21st March 2021
With over 500 years of non-conformism in the Calder Valley, the theme of 'The Other' is very fitting. We're celebrating films by or about those who dare to be different, whether they exist in the margins, sit outside the mainstream or just plain don’t fit in.
There will be two UK premiers and a world premier as part of the line-up.
Harami (UK premier)
- A modern Oliver Twist set in bustling Mumbai, Harami tells the story of a teenage pickpocket who develops a conscience after one of his targets commits suicide.
- Presented in partnership with Bradford Literary Festival.
- Official Selection New Currents Competition, BUSAN International film festival
- Director Shyam Madiraju will be in conversation with Syima Aslam Director of Bradford Literature Festival (BLF) who said "Hirami is fantastic story and a wonderful love letter to the city of Mumbai. BLF are delighted to be partnering with Hebden Bridge Film Festival on this exciting event, continuing our mission of sharing unexpected stories that encourage important intercultural dialogue."
Beloved (UK premier)
- The film follows Firouzeh, an 82-year-old cow herder high in the Alborz Mountains of Iran
- Winner of six international awards.
- A co-presentation with The Middle East Institute, SOAS.
- Director Yaser Talabi will be in conversation with Narguess Fazard Chair, Centre for Iranian Studies.
Veni Etiam (I Shall Come Again) - (World premier)
- Directed by Alex Hai.
- This intriguing short reveals a secret Venice from the perspective of one of the most famous Gondoliers in the city.
Other films include:
Lunana: a yak in the classroom
- A reluctant young teacher is sent to the most remote school in Bhutan where despite a lack of even the most basic facilities, he learns to love the children in his school.
- Multiple award winner including Best Narrative Feature Palm Springs International Film Festival.
- A missing woman returns home, igniting an intense bond with her sister. United they unearth their mother’s past but the truth has devastating consequences.
- Award winner and Sundance Nominee, director Cathy Brady’s powerful drama explores the impact of the Trouble’s on one family.
- The film stars, Danika McGuigan, who died in July 2019 after a short illness. The daughter of Boxing champion Barry McGuigan. Cathy Brady said ‘"Hopefully it will have a legacy now and a legacy especially for Nika."
Children of the Sea
- One summer vacation, teenage Ruka meets two boys, "Umi" and "Sora", whose upbringing contains strange and wonderful secrets.
- Mainichi Film Awards 2020 - Best Animation Film
The Man Who Could Fly
- Eighty-something farmer Bobby Coote has always wanted to fly. He's determined to make his dream come true. Even if it's the last thing he does.
- Audience Award IFI Documentary Festival.
A Film Lover pass provides access to all films and related events over the weekend. Individual passes are also available.
20th Oct 20217.30pm Celebrating Over 40 years of ABBA Europe's leading ABBA Tribute, ABBAMANIA, continue to entertain audiences with their outstanding voc...7.30pm Celebrating Over 40 years of ABBA Europe's leading ABBA Tribute, ABBAMANIA, continue to entertain audiences with their outstanding vocals and musical performance live on stage. ABBAMANIA's widely acclaimed tribute to ABBA is a sensational two hour show featuring record breaking and timeless hits from Waterloo to Dancing Queen which will have you dancing in the aisles. Tickets from £26.75
22nd Oct 20217.30pm After sell-out performances last year, the Russian State Ballet and Opera House is back for its annual UK tour with spellbinding, lavish,...7.30pm After sell-out performances last year, the Russian State Ballet and Opera House is back for its annual UK tour with spellbinding, lavish, full-production touring ballet. One hundred and thirty-five years ago audiences heard Swan Lake by the great Russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky for the very first time. From that moment on, the world of ballet would never be the same. Swan Lake is a tale of two young women, Odette and Odile, who resemble each other so strikingly that one can easily be mistaken for the other. It is the compelling legend of a tragic romance in which a princess, Odette, is turned into a swan by an evil curse. Prince Siegfried chances upon a flock of swans while out hunting. When one of the swans turns into a beautiful young woman he is instantly captivated – will his love prove strong enough to break the evil spell that she is under? From the opulent splendour of the palace ballroom to the moonlit lake where majestic swans glide in perfect formation, this compelling tale of tragic romance has it all. Swan Lake captures, like no other ballet, the full range of human emotions – from hope to despair, from terror to tenderness, from melancholy to ecstasy. A wonderful evening out, the memories of which you will cherish long after the final curtain falls. Ticket holders are invited to join us in the auditorium from 6:45pm for a pre-show Swan Lake talk. Tickets from £38.75
7th Nov 2021
Critically acclaimed comedian Chris Ramsey is hitting the road for his biggest ever stand-up tour in 2020 and will be at th...
Critically acclaimed comedian Chris Ramsey is hitting the road for his biggest ever stand-up tour in 2020 and will be at the Victoria Theatre Halifax. Having filled venues across the country including The Newcastle Metro Arena, twice, “Ramsey has the potential to be a mainstream hit, a cult favourite or almost anything in between” (Sunday Times), so don’t miss your chance to catch him live on stage while you can.
Chris has just announced his own live stand-up special which will be available to stream on Amazon Prime this summer. Alongside his wife Rosie he is also the co-host of the no.1 hit podcast Shagged. Married. Annoyed. which has been downloaded a phenomenal 4.5 million times.
Recently seen hosting two series of his very own TV show The Chris Ramsey Show and Chris Ramsey’s Stand up Central (both Comedy Central), he has also been a regular face on many major comedy shows including Celebrity Juice (ITV2), 8 out of 10 Cats (C4), Live at the Comedy Store (Comedy Central) and Virtually Famous (E4) to name a few.
12th Nov 20217.30pm The biggest and best 60’s show touring the UK returns to The Victoria Theatre Halifax for one night only, with a brand new production for...7.30pm The biggest and best 60’s show touring the UK returns to The Victoria Theatre Halifax for one night only, with a brand new production for 2020. The Sensational 60’s Experience brings you a three hour 60’s spectacular of pure nostalgia. The show with the definite feel good factor will transport you back to that magical decade that was the 1960’s. The Sensational 60’s Experience will deliver to you a night never to be forgotten where you’ll find it impossible to remain in your seat. Whether you come to this show to relive your childhood memories or you just simply want to see what your parents have been raving about for all these years. Come and experience the musical phenomena of the 1960s for yourself. This is must see 60’s show for 2020 Starring Mike Pender (Original voice of The Searchers, 80th Birthday Tour) The Fortunes, The Swinging Blue Jeans, The Fourmost and Meet The Beatles starring The Revolvers. Hits include Needles and Pins, Storm In A Teacup, Hippy Hippy Shake, A Little Lovin, A Hard Day’s Night plus many more. Step back in time to when pop music was at its very best. Tickets: £27.75
23rd Mar 2022
‘Are you ready for some filth? I ...
‘Are you ready for some filth? I know I am. Time once again for me to sally forth and pleasure the provinces with my particular brand of saucy innuendo. Let me at them!’
In this outrageously camp show, (that he was going to call Bed Knobs and Knee Pads but was advised might not sell too well in Harrogate), renowned homosexual Julian Clary will bare his soul as never before in the interests of light entertainment.
He’ll murder some well known songs along the way, no doubt, read you a sneak preview from his next memoir A Night At the Lubricant and make withering remarks about punters foolish enough to sit in the front row. You know the kind of thing. It’s the only life he knows. Don’t miss out.
This might well be the final mince…
Tickets from £26.75