Plan your stay
HeptonstallBuilt in 1764, the design and construction of this Grade II listed Octagonal Chapel were overseen by John Wesley, who frequently preached here. One...Built in 1764, the design and construction of this Grade II listed Octagonal Chapel were overseen by John Wesley, who frequently preached here. One of the first octagonal chapels, it is one of the oldest Methodist churches in continuous use today. This unusual octagonal chapel is open every day. It’s tucked away at the bottom of a flight of steps off Northgate. Entry is free, with donations to the upkeep of the Chapel welcome. Please email Circuit Heritage Officer Mr. John Wilson regarding visits and other activities, at email@example.com. Methodism in Heptonstall began with the firebrand Scot William Darney. He founded many societies on both sides of the Pennines as he travelled, preaching as he went. The Heptonstall “Darney Society” was visited by Charles and John Wesley in 1747. In these early days, Heptonstall had a preacher every sixth Sunday, with the travelling preachers receiving no stipend or allowance, eating where they could. John Wesley continued to visit Heptonstall and there were always immense crowds to hear him. The society was so successful it was decided to build a chapel. The octagon shape was then fashionable for Methodist preaching houses, as it avoided conflict with the established church. The building was finished in 1764. It was intended to hold 200 people, but by 1802 there were 337 members and over 1000 scholars. The solution was to knock down the far end of the chapel, lengthen the walls and rebuild it, preserving its octagonal shape. Heptonstall is located on The Calderdale Way, a 50 mile walking route that circles the borough of Calderdale. Please call in to visit the Chapel if you're passing by.
Please note that the Gallery & Library will be closing to the public from 20th March until further n...
Please note that the Gallery & Library will be closing to the public from 20th March until further notice.
This purpose built Art Gallery and public library, known as ‘The Rydings’, is surrounded by a beautiful park and gardens.
The front gallery hosts an exhibition of oil paintings, based on People and Places, including works by Atkinson Grimshaw, Marcus Stone and Thomas Sydney Cooper. The rear gallery hosts changing displays, covering a wide variety of themes from local artists to touring exhibitions, including photography, mixed media and sculpture, ensuring there is always something new and different to enjoy.
The gallery was built by Alderman William Smith and donated, along with his collection of artwork, to the people of Brighouse in 1907.
The Smith Art Gallery provides a pleasant atmosphere to meet your friends, interact with beautiful paintings and do the family gallery hunt/trail.
There is also an exciting programme of temporary exhibitions in a range of media from paintings to photography and textiles, providing a wonderful experience each time you visit.
HeptonstallUniquely, Heptonstall has two churches within one graveyard. At the centre of the village are the ruins of the Church of St Thomas a' Becket built ...Uniquely, Heptonstall has two churches within one graveyard. At the centre of the village are the ruins of the Church of St Thomas a' Becket built between 1256 and 1260. Later adaptations gave the Church two naves, two aisles and two chantry chapels as well as a tower. Following a great storm in 1847 the west face of the tower fell away. Some measure of repair took place and the church remained in use up to 1854 when the present church, St Thomas the Apostle, was completed at a cost of £7,000. The ruins of St Thomas a' Becket are carefully maintained and are open to the public. Open air services are occasionally conducted there.
BrighouseThe Brighouse and Rastrick Band is regarded by many as the best and most consistent ‘public subscription band’ in the world. The band was formed...The Brighouse and Rastrick Band is regarded by many as the best and most consistent ‘public subscription band’ in the world. The band was formed over 130 years ago through public donations given by the townsfolk of the adjacent villages of Brighouse and Rastrick that face each other across the River Calder in West Yorkshire, England.
BrighouseCromwell Bottom is one of the most important wildlife sites in Calderdale. Situated next to the Calder and Hebble Navigation, the River Calder runs...Cromwell Bottom is one of the most important wildlife sites in Calderdale. Situated next to the Calder and Hebble Navigation, the River Calder runs through the reserve. The wetlands and meadows provide a variety of habitats for many insects, including butterflies, moths, dragonflies and damselflies. A bird feeding area attracts many birds to the site, including bullfinch, dunnock, woodpeckers, robins and redpoll. Other birds that can be seen or heard around the site include kingfishers, oystercatchers and curlew. Many mammals and amphibians have also made Cromwell Bottom their home. The reserve is wheelchair friendly, with many of the paths being suitable for wheelchair access. The paths are generally smooth, and there are no steep gradients. A RADAR key is required to open the gate fully to allow easier access. The reserve is accessed from the A6025 (Elland Road). Turn along a road by the side of Cromwell House (a large red brick building), then left under a height barrier into the small car park. The reserve is signposted from the far end of the car park. There are also buses that travel along the A6025.