Plan your stay
MytholmroydThe B6138 Cragg Road is located in Mytholmroyd, off the A646 Burnley Road and passes up through the village of Cragg Vale to the moorlands above. ...The B6138 Cragg Road is located in Mytholmroyd, off the A646 Burnley Road and passes up through the village of Cragg Vale to the moorlands above. It is arguably the longest continuous ascent in England, climbing 968 feet over 5.5 miles. With an average gradient of 3%, the Cragg Vale Incline isn’t particularly steep, but it is a long drag and a presents a power climb challenge for cyclists. In July 2014 the incline was part of the route of the 2014 Tour de France. Amongst the ‘Grand Depart’ celebrations a team of 18 cyclists towed a baby grand piano up the incline, on a custom-made PianoPorté, invented by sculptor Andy Plant. The team was cheered on by thousands of locals and tourists with live piano concertos played by 15 on-board pianists to encourage their pedalling. Quite a sight! The Cragg Vale Incline has since featured in various editions of the Tour de Yorkshire. The Calderdale Way crosses the Cragg Vale Incline at Church Bank Lane
HeptonstallBuilt in 1764, the design and construction of this Grade II listed Octagonal Chapel were overseen by John Wesley, who frequently preached here. One...Built in 1764, the design and construction of this Grade II listed Octagonal Chapel were overseen by John Wesley, who frequently preached here. One of the first octagonal chapels, it is one of the oldest Methodist churches in continuous use today. This unusual octagonal chapel is open every day. It’s tucked away at the bottom of a flight of steps off Northgate. Entry is free, with donations to the upkeep of the Chapel welcome. Please email Circuit Heritage Officer Mr. John Wilson regarding visits and other activities, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Methodism in Heptonstall began with the firebrand Scot William Darney. He founded many societies on both sides of the Pennines as he travelled, preaching as he went. The Heptonstall “Darney Society” was visited by Charles and John Wesley in 1747. In these early days, Heptonstall had a preacher every sixth Sunday, with the travelling preachers receiving no stipend or allowance, eating where they could. John Wesley continued to visit Heptonstall and there were always immense crowds to hear him. The society was so successful it was decided to build a chapel. The octagon shape was then fashionable for Methodist preaching houses, as it avoided conflict with the established church. The building was finished in 1764. It was intended to hold 200 people, but by 1802 there were 337 members and over 1000 scholars. The solution was to knock down the far end of the chapel, lengthen the walls and rebuild it, preserving its octagonal shape. Heptonstall is located on The Calderdale Way, a 50 mile walking route that circles the borough of Calderdale. Please call in to visit the Chapel if you're passing by.
HeptonstallUniquely, Heptonstall has two churches within one graveyard. At the centre of the village are the ruins of the Church of St Thomas a' Becket built ...Uniquely, Heptonstall has two churches within one graveyard. At the centre of the village are the ruins of the Church of St Thomas a' Becket built between 1256 and 1260. Later adaptations gave the Church two naves, two aisles and two chantry chapels as well as a tower. Following a great storm in 1847 the west face of the tower fell away. Some measure of repair took place and the church remained in use up to 1854 when the present church, St Thomas the Apostle, was completed at a cost of £7,000. The ruins of St Thomas a' Becket are carefully maintained and are open to the public. Open air services are occasionally conducted there.